Ask Sawal

Discussion Forum
Notification Icon1
Write Answer Icon
Add Question Icon

Where is ley hill?

1 Answer(s) Available
Answer # 1 #

Ley Hill is a village in the south-eastern part of England, near the town of Chesham. It is a part of the civil parish of Ley Hill and is part of the district council. Ley Hill is contiguous with Botley.

Chesham and Ley Hill Golf Club and Ley Hill Cricket Club use the common in the village. The Common has been used for golf since about 1900.

An owl was hung up on the Common as the unofficial village emblem in 2000.

The Swan and The Crown are both on the Common.

The Swan is named after the symbol of the county of Buckinghamshire. In 1680, the timber-framed building consisted of three cottages with five extensions, oak-beamed ceilings and pillars, a kitchen range and an inglenook fireplace.

One of the oldest pubs in the area is here. The'snug' was used as a sub-post office during the Second World War. During World War II, signed photographs of Clark Gable and James Stewart were displayed at the bar. They rode from the air base.

The Hen and Chickens pub is located further down Botley Road.

The former Five Bells pub in Tylers Hill has been converted into a private dwelling after being closed for many years.

The first church in Ley Hill was the Baptist church. The Lower Baptist Church in Chesham, which was a branch of the Trinity Baptist, closed in 1908 after the people joined the Methodist church.

The first Methodist society was formed in February 1841 and used to meet in local houses.

It was started by the Rev Thomas Green from the Rickmansworth Mission and has since been linked with Methodist churches in West Hertfordshire. The first chapel was built in the 19th century.

Lord Chesham gave the land to the 11 Trustees who built the current chapel on the Green. The church has activities for all ages, with young and old.

St George's at Tyler's Hill is an old church that was built in the 1870s. The local Brownie meetings are held in the Bangay Rooms, named after a member of the church from 1910 until her death in 1987.

One of the first female lay readers in England was Miss Bessie Bangay. She ran a branch of the church at the Black Cat pub when she was licensed in 1917.

Ley Hill School is a primary school for boys and girls up to the age of eleven.

The school building was built in 1927. The old school was behind the Common.

Chesham & Ley Hill Golf Club uses most of the village common as a golf course.

Lord Chesham gave the common to golf.

The Ley Hill Cricket Club is a village club. There are four senior sides, as well as junior sides from under 9s. The club became the first in the area to receive Clubmark accreditation.

Local industries include agriculture and brick-making. The local names of Tyler's Hill and Kiln Lane are associated with tile making and pottery. An extensive late medieval tile kiln was found in Joiners Close in the 1980's.

Dunton's bricks were made until the year 2013.

[3]
Edit
Query
Report